Sunday, September 14, 2008

Summer reading...

At the beginning of summer, I think I may have been overly ambitious in my summer reads list. It is not a formal list of books I hoped to read but a mere expectation that I would spend the summer enjoying many good books. While I have read more books in the past 2 years than I have in the previous 6, this summer did not rank high in the book reading threshold. I read the newest 2 books by Brock and Bodie Thoene (some of my favorite authors of historical fiction) in their A.D. Chronicles series. I always enjoy their books for the vast amount of jewish culture and history they pour into their stories. I loved The Shack by William Young. A must read! I read The Pianist and while I loved the jewish history, parts were very difficult to read now that I have a child of my own. The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. Dobson was very encouraging. For fun, I read Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol, a fellow blogger. I am mostly through Father Wounds by Francis Anfuso. A life-altering perspective on loving and being loved. Last but not least, I am reading The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. I own every one of Sparks books and have enjoyed them all for the curl-up-with-a-blankie-and-a-cup-of-tea reads that they are. I had planned to read the unabridged tales of Mark Twain but I just haven't been into it (Dad, I will return it to you when I see you next).

I really am looking to identify some good reads for this next season so if any of you have any good ideas, let me know...

1 comments:

Charlotte said...

I have spent the summer reading any Ted Dekker book that belongs to my mother-in-law. I LOVE his writing. It tends to be intense, like watching a Bourne movie or something. I have a hard time putting them down, so I try to be careful about when I start them! :D I've read Black, Red, and White (A trilogy); a series for teenagers, that I can't remember the name of; Adam, and I just started reading Blessed Child. I can't remember if I've read any other Dekker books. But, if you're looking for good, intense, Christian fiction, I HIGHLY recommend Dekker.

I also read Joel Rosenberg's Epicenter, which was VERY good - not fiction. And I read a an autobiography about the Burnham's who were kidnapped and held for a year in the Philippines in 2001-2002. Thought-provoking.

I also read The Strong-Willed Child, and I am wanting another book that deals with similar things, but written by a different author for some different perspectives.