Saturday, September 6, 2008

Vacation... a blessed thing! Part 2

After we left Windsor, we headed south to Dillon Beach where we joined a group of some of the finest people we know. We camped for 2 days at the beach. Evelina had a great time running around the camp. She wouldn't let us take her coat off for 2 days. I have never known a kid to love a coat so much! In true coffee-freak fashion, I brought my grinder and walked 1/4 mile to the bathroom to use the outlet to grind my coffee. Nothing stands between me and my coffee; except maybe God ; ) We took a long 3 mile walk to the pier, along the beach and back around to the camp. It was a gorgeous first day there. Then... the wind.

Here is Matthew setting up camp...

Ryan and Natalie setting up camp...

Me playing cards with my kindred spirit and my kindred Mama spirit...

Our walk along the beach... Daddy gave her a shell to hold. Note she is wearing the kindred spirit coat.

A lift from uncle Ry...


Our first night there we sat around the fire and drank tea. And tea. And more tea. I am telling you this so you get where I am going when I say I lay awake for hours trying to decide whether to get up and walk 1/4 mile in the moonlight to the yucky porta-potty, which incidentally was so full that not much more could fit. And we did not have a flashlight available. I would not be myself if I did not share indescretionately so here is the actual dialog I had with myself as I started slipping into a state of full-bladder delusion. "Should I just get up and go to the yucky-potty? Maybe if I just lay here it will be morning soon. Well, there IS the paper starbucks cup in the trash outside the tent. Why did I bring such small paper cups!? No, that will NOT do. What if I peed into a diaper? NO ONE WOULD KNOW!" Then, fully delusional but before doing something I would sooo regret, I quickly woke up Matthew and made him walk me to the yucky-potty. I was sharing this story with Charlotte after the fact and when I got to the part where I thought "no one would know", she so keenly informed that if I did in fact do the deed, no one know while I was doing it, but then in the morning I, being Alicia, would have to run and tell someone I did it. Spoken like a true friend!

Now where was I before the lack of discretion... Oh yes, the wind. The second night was so windy! It really sank into our bones and we all started to get cranky. It was so windy that the tent was blown near flat a few times. Our beloved friends and kindred spirits Mike and Charlotte so graciously offered to share their tent trailer with us. I do not know anyone so giving and selfless and Mike and Charlotte. They are such and example of love! I am not sure I would give up my bed being 8 months pregnant. Definately something to aspire to!

So the five and 1/2 of them and the three of us packed in for a night of hot chocolate and Dutch Blitz. Most definately the best part of the trip. And Charlotte so quietly and non-smack talkingly beat us over and over at the game. It was like old times, when we all shared a home together for those amazing and special six months before we all had little ones. That was surely a time I will never forget because we created a bond that will never break!


Ok... back to the camping. We woke the next morning to our kids peeking at each other through the curtain and across the trailer. We ate breakfast and headed for home. I am so glad we decided to join the camping group! It will be on our fun-times list for next year! Thanks to the Wrights, Turners, Bertrands, and Eiferds for making this a fun time!

4 comments:

Mike said...

I love reading your posts. You're very good at drawing us readers in. Especially when you have PICTURES of us, too! Yep, flattery will get you everywhere.

We were soooooo glad you guys decided to stay in the trailer with us. Like you said, it was a highlight of the trip, and it did hearken back to the days we all lived together. What a fun time! And so it felt just like family to 'have you guys over' once again. I just wish we had had more space to drag Ryan & Natalie in for the night too! I kept worrying about them. Anyway, everybody is still alive and we get to muse about it (that blasted wind, literally) now.

We sure love you guys!!!

Michelle said...

I, too, love to read your posts. You make me laugh so much ... and not many people can accomplish that. I love your yucky potty story.

Alicia said...

Thanks guys! The encouragement is much appreciated!

Charlotte said...

What fun!! We had such a great time (even though I barely wanted to move at times!), and I was SO glad you guys were there. That night playing Dutch Blitz and drinking hot chocolate was the highlight of our trip, too. Thank you, God, for that awful wind!

By the way, Mike and I are praying that you guys find a roommate to be able to rent the house on Silverhorn. That would be soooo awesome to have you guys close again!